Friday, August 18, 2006

And Greatest Song of the Sixties is...


..."God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys. At least that's what the hipsters over at Pitchfork say. I won't argue with that choice, but my favorite song from Pet Sounds is probably either "Caroline No," or "That's Not Me." Wait no, maybe it's "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times." See, this is why I don't make lists. I can't even bother to make a list before I go to the grocery store.

For all my nasty and self-righteous comments about Pitchfork, I have to admit that most of the capsules they wrote for the songs are worth reading. I think what I really object to about a project like this is the apparent desire to quantify everything, the need to put a number on something intangible and keep it in a tidy, manageable box. My mind is far too sloppy and non-linear for that kind of thing.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my favorite Beach Boys song is "Don't Worry Baby"--sex, death, cars, hubris--the song captures the essence of 20th Century America in 2 minutes and 49 seconds. Then again, "In My Room" is pretty great too...and then there's "Good Vibrations"...forget it.

For those of you more decisive than me: What is your favorite Beach Boys song? What is your favorite song from the sixties? And if you did not give the same answer to both of those questions, please explain what is wrong with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Beach Boys song, as of right this minute, is probably "Cabinessence," because that 'Who Ran The Iron Horse?' section is totally intense and otherworldy. It freaked me out so badly when I first heard it that the song receives a special place in line.

Check out the vocal-only version of "Pet Sounds" that comes with the boxed set. Some of the songs sound radically different. 'God Only Knows' is a good example.

My all-time favorite sixties song is probably "Theme From The Nineteen Sixties," which I feel encapsulates a lot of feelings about that great decade.

"20/20" is a mighty Beach Boys record.