Saturday, August 12, 2006

feelies on youtube

I just found this great clip of the feelies performing "Doin' It Again" on Letterman. It looks like only three actual feelies were present (Mercer, Million and Weckerman), but what makes it really interesting is that it reunites them with Crazy Rhythms-era drummer (and Letterman band member) Anton Fier. [As a poster pointed out, Anton Fig, not Fier, is Letterman's drummer.] I vaguely remember watching this at the time.



If you haven't seen it already there is also an awesome version of "Crazy Rhythms" up on youtube where they look to be playing at a hippie/nerd alliance conference circa-1979. Check it out. This is a real treasure.



Tomorrow I will post a song in honor of this blog's very first poster, "secretchimp."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Anton Fier was the drummer in the Feelies, whereas Anton Fig is the drummer for the Letterman band. It's a mistake anyone could make. This is a mighty blog and I enjoy reading it.

Pete Bilderback said...

My bad on the Fier/Fig mix up. I should have known the difference. Other than the Letterman gig, Fig is best known as the drummer in Frehley's Comet, which were basically the same band as the Feelies in many ways.

After leaving the Feelies Fier went on to drum in the Lounge Lizards and form the Golden Paliminos, and did a lot of session work, but as far as I know did not drum for Letterman.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Anonymous said...

Frehley's Comet! Wow! I had forgotten about them. There's a pretty good chance Ace has, as well.

You know who were a good band? The Screaming Blue Messiahs were a good band. All sarcasm aside - "Gun Shy" and "Bikini Red" are both cool albums that were culturally valuable at the time. The SBMs were also a pretty ruthless live act. Now, it's safe to say they have been completely written out of "Rock." Sad.

Pete Bilderback said...

You know, I have only a vague memory of The Screaming Blue Messiahs from my college radio days. But one of the things I'm discovering as I rummage through my record collection is that a lot of stuff I've forgotten about really holds up well, while some stuff I remember better doesn't. I also realize that there is some stuff I sold because I thought I would never want to listen to it again, and now I regret it. Other stuff I held onto I really don't ever want to listen to again.