Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Kendra Smith

Kendra Smith is probably best known as a founding member of the Dream Syndicate and as the voice behind Opal. In 1992, five years after the release Opal's last album, a cryptically packaged 10" EP of mysteriously beautiful songs called Kendra Smith Presents The Guild of Temporal Adventurers seemed to magically appear and quickly disappear from a select few record stores. A better distributed full length on 4AD, the appropriately titled Five Ways of Disappearing, followed in 1995. Since that release, to my knowledge, there has been no new music from Kendra Smith, and that's a shame. It's also a shame that both Opal albums and this EP are out-of-print and difficult to find.

"Wheel of the Law" is one of my favorite songs from the 1992 EP. Jonah Corey sings on this cut with Kendra.

2 comments:

The October Man said...

I read about Kendra Smith in a book and was impressed so I started following her work. I recommend all who want Kendra's work and that of Opal to be reissued to contact Cherry Red Records and request they repress their albums for new fans which I am certain will celebrate this artist and her fellow musicians who contributed to something I find unique upon listening.

The October Man said...

Always looking for something unique. Music has become one constant in my life. More so than any other even other than perhaps my creature friends, music and literature occupy a great portion of my time and I find the ability to accept this world despite its darker side when I have these treasures to help me see through the half light of modern living.