Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Wedding Present

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the Wedding Present or not. I know I bought a lot of their albums. I know I listened to them a lot. I know I enjoyed them. Still, to call yourself a fan of The Wedding Present it seems like you have to be willing to call them "The Weddoes," and I'm just not sure I want to go there.

I've always liked this cut, a cover of Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel's "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)." This was one of the highlights of the 1990 Alvin Lives (In Leeds): Anti Poll Tax Trax compilation that featured covers of hits from the 1970s by UK indie favorites.

With its ambivalent expression of sexual frustration and dramatic stop/start arrangement, this certainly sounds like it could have been a Wedding Present original. The lyrics, ("Come up and see me, make me smile / Or do what you want, running wild") sound like they could have come straight from the pen of Dave Gedge. This track would have easily fit in on Seamonsters, and it would have been one of the better tracks on that terrific album. This cover is good enough to (at least temporarily) erase any memory of the "ooh laa laas," strings, and flamenco guitars of the original (whether you loved it or hated it). Gedge absolutely owns this song.

No comments: