Wednesday, September 06, 2006

de Artsen



De Artsen are best known for contributing members to indie-pop-flavor-of-the-moment-circa-1992 Bettie Serveert (who are still at it by the way). From the moment I first heard it, I was quite taken with de Artsen's one and only album, 1989's Conny Waves with a Shell. It was reminiscent of other Velvet Underground inspired indie rock acts, but filtered through the band's own Dutch sensibilities in a way that make it just enough different to be interesting. In the wake of the success of Bettie Serveert, there were rumors that Matador was going to re-release this album, but that never happened so I'm glad I paid premium price for the import. "Down the Road" is one of my favorite cuts from the album. Does anyone know who they're quoting in the "where switches set you free my friend" bit at the end of the song?

4 comments:

Jason said...

"Switches set you free" comes from The Electrocutioner by The Residents

Pete Bilderback said...

Excellent work Jason!

Sam Adams said...

Oh, how I would love it if you would repost this some day... Boy, is this record impossible to find!

Tet Inoffensive said...

yeah is there any way you could upload this again?