Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Mothership Connection


I have really been enjoying the recent Honda Odyssey commercials featuring Parliament's 1976 smash "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)." But let's face it, if you are considering buying a Honda Odyssey you are among a handful of the most un-funky creatures in the Universe. Sir Nose d'Voidoffunk drives an Odyssey. Rumpofsteelskin drives an Odyssey. The truly funky among us drive Dodge Caravans. The truly, truly, freaky-deaky funky drive Grand Caravans.*

I saw P-Funk live at Constitution Hall in Washington D.C. in 1992. While they were musically as tight as ever, and both Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell were there, I wish I had been able to see them back in the 70s when the shows were a true all-out spectacle. I also wish I had been able to see Glenn Goins perform. This clip from a 1977 show in Houston is among the best things I have seen on YouTube.

*Full disclosure: I drive a Grand Caravan and am unarguably the funkiest organism in the Universe.**
**Full, full disclosure: Only half of the above statement is true, I will leave it to you to decide which one.

No comments: