Friday, December 15, 2006

World Premier Song-Poem "Ballad of the Boy in the Bubble"

I got my song-poem back today. I have to say I am quite pleased with the results. David Dubowski is the musician behind the eBay song-poem auction, and I give him a lot of credit. He brought a genuine enthusiasm to the project, and obviously worked very hard on it despite the fact that he must have been disappointed with the closing amount for the auction. Kudos to Dave (check out his tasty guitar licks after the third chorus). He also did a nice job of dealing with the rather awkward chorus.

The whole thing has been a fun experience for me, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is fascinated by the song-poem phenomena, or is just curious to hear someone else set their words to music. For someone who has always regretted the fact that he has no natural aptitude for music, it is rewarding to be involved in the creation of music in some way, even if the song isn't going to rock anybody's world. While I realize fame and fortune are not coming my way anytime soon as a result of this song, I had a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it. (Maybe next year I will attempt to write a Yultide standard and post it here, although I could never top "Santa Came on a Nuclear Missile.")

If anyone reading this ever does a song-poem (either through Dave or someone else) I would be happy to post it here. In fact, I'd love to hear what you guys could come up with.

Ballad Of The Boy In The Plastic Bubble [right click to download]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This Is Fantastic! A Complete Success.

Interestingly, the singer sounds kinda like Frank Zappa.

Secretchimp said...

Good job Pete - but from my memory the lines seem to be more lighthearted over what I remember from 10 years ago. My memory isn't always accurate but for some reason I always pictured it being more in the early goth/punk tradition and a bit more angry. Didn't you have some lines like "They lock away the razors so I won't break this seal of life" and "Your sickness is my only cure". I think you even managed to include a screaming chorus of "Kevorkian give me my primary care!"

After all those were the days when you were going through more eyeliner than Liza at a double wake!

I don't want to be the one to say it bro, but could it be that you've lost your edge?

Pete Bilderback said...

You could be right, my memories of that period are vague at best. The "treatments" I was subjected to after I was arrested in Times Square for running around naked telling people I was a vampire did a number on my long-term memory.

Anonymous said...

That was you?