Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Flowering Toilet Rock Criticism Award

I never had any intention of creating a rock criticism award until I read this sentence from Shawn Haney's review of KISS's MTV Unplugged at allmusic.com:
Soon the emotion and presence of this group are brought back with startling grace and wisdom on "Plaster Caster" and the beautiful acoustic medley "Goin' Blind."

I personally would never have thought to use the words "startling grace and wisdom" in connection with a song about a groupie who makes plaster casts of rock stars' genitals, but I congratulate Mr. Haney for recognizing the depth of emotion and penetrating intelligence that the more casual, non-professional listener such as myself might miss were it not for his startling insight and wisdom. If you can find any equally outstanding examples of rock criticism, please feel free to share them in comments. I have a feeling this one will be hard to top.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Really...some people take stuff way too seriously. They're rock songs not monumental works of art that will echo through the ages.

Now I'm on a mission to top this!