Tuesday, January 02, 2007

R.I.P. James Brown


I woke up Christmas Morning to discover James Brown had died. I realize this is old news, but I wanted to pay my respects. I don't have much to add to all the more timely eulogizing: James Brown was a giant, as big an influence on popular music as Elvis and the Beatles, if not more so. But what I love most about James Brown is that he was not afraid to let you know that he was willing to work his ass off to entertain you, and to earn your love. In today's media environment where multi-media celebrities seem to believe they are entitled to your love and money by mere virtue of their celebrity that alone is something to be honored. It really was no exaggeration to call him the "hardest working man in show biz."

This 1966 clip of Brown performing "Prisoner of Love" shows off the Godfather's more sensitive side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God Bless James Brown!

Here's a great clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbpmFxvCrY