Saturday, January 13, 2007

Tracy Ullman - They Don't Know (video)

I heard this song on the radio the other day, and it brought back a lot of memories. Looking at this video again it is clear that Ullman was a major talent who probably had more to offer as a comedian than as a singer (although despite the fact that her voice is pretty limited, and it's actually Kirsty McColl who sings the sublime "baby!" part just as Ullman switches to her hausenfrau outfit, I still think it's kind of a shame that Ullman didn't find a way to maintain dual careers). I always thought this was one of the better early MTV videos, and one of the things that was great about that period was that it was possible for something that wasn't entirely predictable to breakthrough in the new medium.

Somehow I always remembered Ullman pushing Paul McCartney around in a shopping cart at the end of the video, but he only shows up in the car with her. I can't believe how boyish McCartney looked in 1983. He was 41 at the time, but looks to be closer to 20 (make up probably helped, but still).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, doncha know about "Turn me on dead man" and the bloody shoes? The black carnation and the number 3?

That's not Paul, he died in '66.

Great blog but surprised you din't know.

Pete Bilderback said...

Of course I meant Paul's post-'66 replacement looked good for his age. I figured that went without saying.