Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Velvet Underground Acetate MP3s

Lo-fi day at Flowering Toilet continues. . . I'm sure most of you know the story of the mysterious Velvet Underground acetate picked up at a yard sale in Chelsea for 75 cents. If you are interested to hear what all the fuss is about WFMU has made MP3s of the songs on the acetate available for download. I only listened quickly, but it mostly sounds like a very noisy copy of The Velvet Underground and Nico to me. I understand it is a different version of "European Son" and the mixes are rougher/different, but for the most part it sounds like the music I'm used to with extra surface noise. A brillo pad would likely make my copy of the LP sound about the same. I consider this much less exciting than the demos released on disc one of the Peel Slowly and See box set, which I listened to all of once (okay, not all the way through). On the whole I'm glad I retracted my bid for $155,401, this isn't worth a penny over $25K. Some things are better left to the imagination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not as good as The Jimmy Castor Bunch.

Pete Bilderback said...

According to comments left on the WFMU site, these MP3s are taken from the Japanese bootleg, which was ripped from Moe Tucker's inferior sounding acetate. So supposedly the 75 cent find sounds better than what is represented on these files.

After further listening it is clear that some of the versions are different takes than what appeared on the album--but they're not all that different.