Friday, February 16, 2007

The Beeds

I can tell you very little about The Beeds, much of what I can say about them is nothing more than informed speculation based upon a minimum of available facts. I suspect The Beeds were a studio collaboration between Norman Marzano and Buddah Records regular Jimmy Calvert. Marzano was a Rhode Island native who along with Vini Ponica and Peter Andreoli had a minor with the original version of "Mr. Lonely" as the Videls. He was also a member of The Tradewinds (the studio band that backed Joey Levine up on the big Ohio Express hits).

In 1968 The Beeds released a single "You Don't Have To"/"Run To Her" on Team Records, a label distributed by Buddah, and another single "Love Hurts"/"You're Wrong" in 1971 on Buddah itself. They may have released more music, but I can't find any evidence of it. "Run To Her" is their best known song, having shown up on Mindrocker and Rubble compilations (for those who don't know, the Mindrocker and Rubble compilation series are for people who bought all the Nuggets and Pebbles compilations, but still need more garage rock).

"You Don't Have To"/"Run To Her" is listed as "A Product of Kasenetz/Katz Assoc." but the songwriters Calvert and Marzano are credited as producers. I have no idea how directly Kasenetz/Katz were involved with this music, if at all. The music is not exactly standard Super K bubblegum, but it isn't radically dissimilar either. "Run To Her" has a little bit of a garage rock sound, while "You Don't Have To" sounds more like bubblegum-soul. If anyone knows more about The Beeds, please share your knowledge in comments.

6 comments:

George from Mexico said...

Thanks a lot Pete. I've been looking for some information about the group and "Run to Her" but found very little. I don't know how do you know it but thank you very much for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

The Beeds were orignally "The Cat's Meow". I was a school/neighborhood friend of the lead guitar player. I have reunited with him and have been working on a song in his studio. They were from Long Island/Staten Island NY. One of their big hits in Europe was "LaLaLu"

Tom C.

lgstarr said...

I was in a band with Norman and Jimmy and Norman's brother Ray called Blackie Fox and The Killer Band in the '70's in L.A. I also worked with Jimmy for years on other projects (I was a keyboard player and songwriter) and was a roommate with him and his girlfriend Carla so I always heard all the old stories and saw Paul Naumann and Peter Anders regularly at that time. Funny thing is, I don't remember the name "The Beeds." But I did hear all about The Tradewinds and the sessions they did in New York for other acts and all of it. I last saw and heard of Norman in the early 1980's and see Jimmy's name on the net sometimes. Great times and great music!

Anonymous said...

Hi I was the drummer of blackie fox in 1977 78 i am looking for ray marzano any one have any info thanks pat

Anonymous said...

I was the base player of the beeds. Richard M. Before the group was called the beeds it was called the 'cats Meow"

Anonymous said...

The Beeds; John ventura, pete carver, richard martinis, les margo, vince lafata.