Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sonic Youth - Tribute Contributions

When I posted last week on tribute albums I said that many of Sonic Youth's contributions could be found on their recent compilation CD, Destroyed Room: B-Sides And Rarities. I was wrong about that. So here are a couple of their tribute covers that are worth hearing.

"Electricity" comes from the Beefheart tribute LP. It's a relatively straightforward cover that finds the band sounding rather psychedelic. Thurston Moore isn't capable of the kind of vocal gymnastics Beefheart was known for, but the band does capture much of the menace of the original. Moore sounds more sincere than I would have thought possible on "I Know There's An Answer," which comes from a Brian Wilson tribute LP.

"Computer World" from The Bridge: A Tribute To Neil Young, and Plastic Bertrand's "Ca Plane Pour Moi" from Tannis Root Presents Freedom of Choice, a tribute to "New Wave" music are also worth hearing. Both of those albums are still available, and the compilations benefit worthy causes, so there is no way I am posting tracks from those. Actually, they are two of the most consistently good "tribute" albums available and worth picking up for the other contributions as well. Freedom of Choice is worth it for the gnarly cover alone.

1 comment:

MC said...

My college roommates had The Freedom of Choice and The Bridge. I think it's high time I reaquire them for my own collection.