Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Yoshimi Broadway Bound

The Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne announced today that he has teamed up with "West Wing" producer Aaron Sorkin to turn Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots into a Broadway musical. Tony Award-winniner Des McAnuff (who directed The Who's Tommy) will be overseeing the show.

I have to say I never would have predicted this would happen when I first heard the band on Oh My Gawd...The Flaming Lips 20 years ago. In fact, I wouldn't have predicted the Flaming Lips would be still be around 20 years later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance of a musical based on "Clouds Taste Metallic?" Great record.

Pete Bilderback said...

Clouds Taste Metallic is definitely my favorite by The Flaming Lips. And while I am very happy for their success, I never got too into Yoshimi or their latest At War With The Mystics. But, to be fair, I didn't try all that hard.

Peter Hennig said...

Did they ever complete their sci-fi space film?

Pete Bilderback said...

I don't know. I don't think so though. It is too hard to keep up with all of the Flaming Lips' projects.

Pete Bilderback said...

BTW, thinking about it a little, "Christmas At The Zoo" from Clouds Taste Metallic would make a good basis for an animated children's film. I should have a script to Pixar by Monday.