Monday, April 02, 2007

Soul Asylum - Clap Dip And Other Delights

I've gotten a couple of off-line requests to post more Soul Asylum by friends who are determined that the band not merely be remembered for "Runaway Train" and it's schlocktastic MTV video. Certainly there is a good case to be made that they should be remembered for better than that. Made To Be Broken, While You Were Out and Hang Time are all indie-rock classics. Nobody rocked as hard as Soul Asylum during their heyday.

These two covers come from the UK release of Clam Dip And Other Delights, which has been out-of-print for years. They highlight the less-serious side of the band that became less evident after they became rock stars. The cover (a parody of the famous Herb Alpert album made upon their signing to his label) features the late, great Karl Mueller covered in Clam Dip. When I was in college I had a giant framed poster of this cover, and thinking back on it I now understand why girls were afraid to come to the parties my suitemates and I threw.

There is an interesting back-story as to how I acquired this album. During junior year in college my friend Adam picked up a copy of this for me while he studied at East Anglia University for a semester. Adam is an unusually generous person, and he tells me he no longer has a copy of this to call his own because he inadvertently gave away his last copy in exchange for some magic beans. Being a generous person myself, I would ordinarily return my copy to him. But I earned this album the hard way. If I remember things correctly (and there is a good chance I don't) Adam gave me this record based on a dare involving a bottle of Jägermeister, streaking in sub-zero temperatures, and a near death experience...or possibly in exchange for some magic beans. Whatever the case, I think I'll hold onto my copy if for no other reason than to remind me never to drink to excess again.

No comments: