The editors of Rolling Stone have put together a list of the 25 Greatest Songs Off Bad Albums.
Here is the list with my reactions:
1. "Under Pressure" off Queen's Hot Space
I pretty much hate everything Queen ever did except this song and "Radio Ga Ga."
2. "This Is England" off the Clash's Cut The Crap
Never heard Cut The Crap, I know it only by reputation.
3. "Eminence Front" off The Who's It's Hard
"Eminence Front" is a great song? Really? I did not know that.
4. "Brownsville Girl" off Bob Dylan's Knocked Out Loaded
I actually liked this album when I was in high school, but haven't heard it in years. My wife's grandmother (still rockin' at 81 years young) is a Dylan and Springsteen fanatic. I believe "Brownsville Girl" is her favorite Dylan song. Next time I see her I will ask her why.
5. "Hallo Spaceboy" off David Bowie's Outside
Never heard the album or the song.
6. "Kill Your Sons" off Lou Reed's Sally Can’t Dance
Strangely, I don't own Sally Can't Dance. I do like "Kill Your Sons" though.
7. "2000 Light Years from Home" off the Rolling Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request
Wrong. Great song off a great album. People who say this is a bad album are clueless. Someday I am going to do a post on this album that explains why it is a far more awesome artistic acheivement than Sgt. Pepper. If I had any attention span or discipline I would write a book about what a great album this is. (I have neither, so don't hold your breathe waiting for the post either).
8. "Goin' Home" off Neil Young's Are You Passionate?
Again, never heard the song or album, but when Neil Young misses, he really misses. The fact that he named a song on this album "Let's Roll" was reason enough for me to skip it.9. "Song For Guy" off Elton John's A Single Man
Clueless on this one too. Was this written for our Guy?
10. "Don’t Look Back" off Boston's Don't Look Back
I can't remember this song. I'm sure I would recognize it if someone played it for me, but I don't remember it.
11. "Jammin' Me" off Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Let Me Up I've Had Enough
I never liked this song, but I didn't think the album as a whole was bad. Not one of Petty's better albums certainly, but not bad.
12. "Shipbuilding" off Elvis Costello's Punch the Clock
I think Punch the Clock is a good album, and "Shipbuilding" is a great song.
13. "Go Let It Out" off Oasis's Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
Never heard it, never understood the fuss about Oasis in the first place.
14. "Big Love" off Fleetwood Mac's Tango In the Night
I own a copy of this on LP, but I've never listened to it. Tusk is my favorite by Fleetwood Mac.
15. "Tonight" off Elton John's Blue Moves
I guess I am not very up on Elton John. I can live with that.
16. "Celluloid Heroes" off the Kinks' Everybody's in Show-Biz
Again, if someone played me this song, I'm sure I'd remember it, but right now I'm drawing a blank.
17. "Country Death Song" off the Violent Femmes' Hallowed Ground
I am embarrassed to admit that I once liked this juvenille garbage. An awful song.
18. "Busy Doin’ Nothin''" off the Beach Boys' Friends
What exactly makes Friends a "bad" album? Is it the excess of great songs on it? Great song, definitely.
19. "Supernova" off Liz Phair's Whip-Smart
There was a good song on Whip-Smart? I'll have to take Rolling Stones' word for it. Can anyone think of another artist who put out such an amazingly great debut, and went on to suck worse than Liz Phair? Neither can I.
20. "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" off Prince's The Gold Experience
Man, Prince really lost it there for a while. This was a terrible song. Was the rest of the album really worse?
21. "Human Touch" off Bruce Springsteen's Human Touch
I will never say anything bad about the Boss (in part because my wife's grandmother would beat me senseless, and in part because I have nothing bad to say about him). My grandfather (RIP) was born in Asbury Park, NJ too. That is my closest link to rock royalty.
22. "Learning To Fly" off Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason
Did anyone actually listen to this album? Pink Floyd should cover Tom Petty more often.
23. "I Don’t Want Your Love" off Duran Duran's Big Thing
If you are thinking I never heard this song either, you are correct.
24. "Wild Wild Life" off The Talking Heads' True Stories
Maybe I'm nuts, but I liked True Stories (more than Little Creatures anyway).
25. "My Love" off Wings' Red Rose Speedway
This truly is one of Macca's worst moments. "My Love" is one of my least favorite songs ever. May Linda McCartney rest in peace, but I never, ever want to hear this song about what an especially skillful lover she was again. Yuck. I have to believe John would have beaten Paul senseless before allowing this song to be released by the Beatles, which makes their breakup all the more tragic. As for the album, this is one of the few Wings albums I don't own, but I doubt it could be worse than Wild Life, which I do own. I loved Ram though, and especially the "easy listening" version of the album released under the name Percy "Thrills" Thrillington. Genius.
Do you have any other nominations?