Friday, May 25, 2007

Slickee Boys - When I Go To The Beach

I don't know why, but this song always makes me think of summer. Oh wait, I do know why. It's because the song is about summer, fun on the beach and all that good stuff. Also, back in the mid to late 80s WHFS in Annapolis played the heck out of this song, so I heard it a lot during those hot Maryland summers.

The Slickee Boys were another local D.C. band that made good. The music video for this song won second place on MTV's Basement Tapes competition in 1983, and got substantial airplay on the fledgling network. The band split in 1991.

The video is certainly a time capsule, and will likely bring back fond memories for anyone who spent much time in Ocean City, MD. This is how we partied in Maryland back in the day, at least until the man showed up to kill our buzz.

8 comments:

Peter Hennig said...

Time capsule is right - although to be more RC (regionally correct) it should have been "Goin' Down the Ocean".

Pete Bilderback said...

You're right, but it's impossible to capture the accent in writing.

Anonymous said...

From the looks of 'em, The Slickee Boys weren't youngsters.

Pete Bilderback said...

No, they weren't particularly young. They had been kicking around D.C. since at least 1976.

Dumbek said...

My all-time favorite DC band. Did you go to the reunion shows this weekend?

Pete Bilderback said...

Hi dumbek--I actually live in RI now so I am quite far removed from anything going on in the DC music scene (truth be told I am pretty far removed from just about everything these days). I wasn't even aware of the reunion shows. I was aware that the Slickee Boys usually do New Years reunion shows. Did you go?

Dumbek said...

Yeah - They played 5/26 in Baltimore and 5/27 in DC at 9:30. I went to both. They've still got it. They're drawing bigger and bigger crowds every time they play. Great time.

Pete Bilderback said...

Cool. I checked out your blog, which answered my question. Very nice. Looks like a fun time.