Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Strawberry Alarm Clock

When I was in high school I picked up a cassette compilation by The Strawberry Alarm Clock. Never having heard "Incense and Peppermints," I was expecting something similar to the proto-punk garage rock of The Chocolate Watchband. I was not prepared for music that sounded like a light psychedelic version of the Four Freshman. The cassette never got much play, and eventually got sold or lost. So when I came across a copy of the band's second LP, Wake Up. . . It's Tomorrow in a pile of unwanted records given to my Dad by a friend, I figured what the heck.

The pile was filled with a lot of 70s rock of little interest to me (the good stuff I already owned). Most of the stuff was pretty beat up too, so it was slim pickin's. In addition to the Strawberry Alarm Clock album, I took a signed Howard Stern album from his days as a DJ at DC 101 (I thought I might make some money on eBay on that one, but didn't), and a still sealed Tammy Faye Baker album.

The Strawberry Alarm Clock album was a pleasant surprise. I found I had a much greater tolerance for the band's easy-listening variant of psychedelia than I did as a kid, and could now admire the relatively intricate arrangements. The lyrics to "Sit With The Guru" still kinda crack me up, but It sure is catchy.

As for the Tammy Faye Baker album, it is still sealed and shall remain so eternally. I consider it a kind of allegory for temptation itself, and am determined not to give in.

2 comments:

Pete Bilderback said...

Also, I'm gonna post something of more recent vintage soon. I promise.

Anonymous said...

don't do that.

there hasn't been anything worth a crap since 1979.