Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Gemini - Take Her Back

I occasionally post things that I can tell you next to nothing about and hope someone will stumble upon my post and be able to offer more information. Such is the case with this single by Gemini. Despite some creative googling, I can't even offer a release date for this single.

Here is what I can tell you: The A-side, "Take Her Back," was written by famed bubblegum tunesmiths Bo Gentry and Joey Levine. The flip side, "Ann" was written by Paul Naumann and Kenny Laguna. The record was produced by Gentry and Naumann and released on Forward Records (F-129). (You could play all kinds of "six degrees of separation" games on this release.) Whether any of these people were involved in the group Gemini, or if Gemini was a real group and not just a temporary studio conglomeration, I can't say.

The pedigree of those involved can be heard in the music, which is pleasant if nothing earth-shattering. The best way to describe it is bubblegum meets the Beach Boys' Sunflower album, although to my ears the slightly disco-ish strings on "Take Her Back" date the song to significantly later than Sunflower. If I had to guess, I'd say this was released around 1974. Any further info about this all-but-forgotten single would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That song charted in the whitburn bubbling under chart in 1970 hitting #119 . Label (forward 129). I hope that helps

Pete Bilderback said...

Thank you, that does help. At least now I can put a year on it. I thought the strings on "Take Her Back" dated the song a few years later, but I guess not. 1970 would put it right around the same time as Sunflower. Actually, the #119 chart showing is a bit better than some of the singles from taken from Sunflower.

sitarswami said...

Could you please re-post Take Her Back.

Pete Bilderback said...

It's back.