Monday, January 21, 2008

Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey - Mavericks

Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey's 1991 album Mavericks is another welcome recent reissue. As with most things dB's related, this album was criminally overlooked when it was originally released. Collector's Choice seems determined to right past wrongs, having reissued a bunch of dB's related material over the past several years. Kudos to them.

The reissue has a handful of bonus tracks and freshly remastered sound, making it a worthwhile purchase for new and old fans alike.

This is currently my 5-year-old son's favorite album. He fell under the spell of Holsapple and Stamey while listening to this album in the car. He was quite excited when I told him the two were at work on a brand-new album, and he now asks me if it's out yet every other day. Considering it's been over 15 years since the first one was released, he may have to wait a while longer. It seems Mr. Holsapple and Stamey are teaching my son the virtue of patience--the last time I told him it wasn't out yet he replied "I'm sure it will be worth the wait!" At least now he will have some bonus tracks to hold him over.

And lest anyone think I am trying to shape my son into some sort of miniature indie-rock hipster--he also likes the Hannah Montana song that is currently tearing up the charts.

1 comment:

Robinbrevard said...

Thank you for raising the profile of pop geniuses Holsapple & Stamey.

It is indeed a crime that they have not received their due, and you're doing something about it.

Bring on the new dB's album!!