Friday, February 15, 2008

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms reissue - Delayed?

A few weeks ago I posted the good news the The Feelies Crazy Rhythms was going to be reissued by a label called Water Records on February 5th. My friend Dan noted in the comments that the reissue never materialized on that date, and the release is no longer listed at Amazon.

I've done a little homework to see what's going on here. In short, I fear the worst. A few e-commerce sites have the reissue listed as delayed until mid-March. I hope that's the case. But I should point out that the website of the distributor/manufacturer for Water, Runt Distribution, is now essentially down. I called Runt for info and their number has been disconnected. My email to Runt was bounced back to me. I don't want to start any false rumors, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what is going on here. I don't know what's going on, but I have inquiries out to a few people who might.

I suspect we'll learn more about this situation in the coming weeks. But I have a bad feeling about this, especially since Runt is also the distributor/manufacturer for the much loved vinyl reissue label Four Men With Beards.

I'll keep you updated as I learn more. Until then, here's a little something to hold you over until this reissue materializes.

Original Love [right click to download]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete, thanks for the heads-up on the Feelies' "Good Earth" CD available from Twin/Tone (kind of a bummer that they only send you a disc with no case or booklet). The Feelies are definitely a band that deserves their entire catalog to be given the re-master/re-release royal treatment (are you listening, Rhino or Collectors' Choice?).

By the way, I don't mind that you write about your son. It's cool! I have two young sons, myself (I'm married and rapidly pushing 40). My oldest son is six and I love the fact that his musical taste lacks the self-consciousness that tends to creep in as one becomes older (particularly if one becomes a bit of a music geek!). Take care, Mark N.

Anonymous said...

That was not a band approved
re-issue.
The 1st 2 Feelies lps should come out on Bar None this year. With the bands consent.

Gordon Winslow said...

So I went by Waterloo Records about an hour ago, and for some reason looked in the "F" section, and what should I find? A reissue of _Only Life_. On Runt Distribution/Water Records. I asked the guy at the counter if any other Feelies reissues were forthcoming. He said that was the only one listed in the computer, and that it came out in June.

It's not even listed on the Runt Distribution website, and you can be certain that AMG didn't get the heads-up, or it certainly would have been listed in their new releases newsletter. The Feelies fan who writes for the New York Times, Jon Pareles, apparently didn't know about it--his story in July said their albums were out of print. Do the Feelies even know about it?

Way to publicize, Runt Distribution & Water Records!

This will likely go on to sell one copy (the one I bought), as no one knows it's out there, and then they'll scotch future Feelies reissues because this one didn't sell.

Pete Bilderback said...

Gordon, I have to say that is really, deeply weird. It's available at Amazon.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Bar None will be releasing these:

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=133&csid2=844&fid1=39467