Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bitch Magnet - Umber

I went through a long stretch where I barely listened to any rock music, especially indie-rock. I don't know if I was burned out on it, or if I was just eager to explore other things (jazz and classical in particular). During that time I sold a lot of records that could probably be featured on this blog--Bitch Magnet's Umber was one of them (thank you to Adam for loaning me his copy so I could hear it again).

At some point, probably about ten years ago, I went through my record collection, looked at each record and asked myself "Given that my time on earth is finite, do I really think I'll ever listen to this again?" If the answer was "no" I sold it, if it was "yes" I left it on the shelf. This is one of the records that ended up in the "no" pile. It's not that I thought it was bad, it was just hard for me to envision ever listening to it again.

My predictive abilities are less than perfect. Here I am today, some ten years later, and I listened to this album while driving to work this morning (on a iPod no less, another development I failed to predict). Some guy driving a Mercedes with a vanity license plate that read "VIP 1" cut me off. I laughed. Life is too short to get angry about people who think they're important. But hopefully it's not too short to listen to Umber a couple more times. It's pretty good you know.

4 comments:

Peter Hennig said...

Hmmm...I almost feel bad for the jerk who had to settle for the "VIP 2" vanity tag.

Pete Bilderback said...

Rhode Islanders love their vanity plates. There is a Mohel who lives in Providence with vanity plates that read "I BRIS EM."

dan said...

I find this album pretty dull, actually.

Anonymous said...

Compared to their last LP, this one is pretty dull except for a few songs...and there is a better version of big pining on the mesentery 7" they released.