Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Did The Monster Mash

My mind has been moving inexorably in this direction, and I didn't even realize it until for no reason in particular "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Over Night" popped into my head while writing about the The Groovie Goolies.

Posting all this spooky Halloween music must have brought me back to the fact that one of my favorite records as a kid was a Halloween themed album. I couldn't remember the name of the album, but I could vaguely picture the album cover in my mind...the dominant color was green, it had writing dripping with blood...What did it say? Was it Monster Mash? Maybe.

What were some of the tracks on the album? "Monster Mash" was definitely on it. I was pretty sure "Dinner With Drac" and "Purple People Eater" were on it too. There were some other novelty songs that had nothing to do with Halloween or monsters, "Itsy Bitsy Tiny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" and "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Over Night" were two of them. It must have been a budget compilation with re-recordings of hit songs. That didn't prevent me from playing the record over and over again during all times of the year. I must have driven my parents nuts.

Okay, time for a Google search. A couple pages into a google image search on "monster mash album" I see it. That's the album cover! Another blogger has made the entire Peter Pan "Monster Mash" album available. Wow, now the memories really come flooding back. What an awesome album cover! No wonder I loved it. Look at those dancing monsters. Hey, that vampire chick's kinda hot. And what's with the monkeys playing the instruments? And the maze on the back. I remember that.

Listening to the album brings back more memories. I remember my mom explaining to me that the narrator singing "Feet Up Pat 'Em On The Po-Po" didn't literally want his son to grow up to be a "lady-killer just like his pa." "Lady-killer" is just an expression you see, it means a man who is popular with the ladies, not a serial killer.

I'll have to make a CD-R of this for my kids. They'll probably hate it.

No comments: