Tuesday, October 21, 2008

R.I.P. Rudy Ray Moore

Damn. Rudy Ray Moore is dead.

Back when I taught film history I used to show a clip from Birth Of A Nation and juxtapose it with a clip from Dolemite in order to generate discussion about depictions of race in American film. I'm not sure what point I was trying to make, but the juxtaposition usually got people talking.

As Moore once immodestly said of himself:

These guys Steve Harvey and Cedric the Entertainer and Bernie Mac claim they're the Kings of Comedy, they may be funny, but they ain't no kings. That title is reserved for Rudy Ray Moore and Redd Foxx.

Moore was 81.

Original theatrical trailer for Dolemite. (Warning: Unless you are a pimp, this clip is not likely to be suitable for your workplace.)

1 comment:

Doug said...

Ah. So this is why they block YouTube at work.

It all makes sense now.