Friday, November 28, 2008

It's Christmas Time Again

I've already been hearing Christmas music for at least the past month, but I just don't think it's right to play Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. I mean, don't the holidays seem a little less special if they last six months?

Anyway, I'm not sure how much holiday themed music I'll be posting this year. I do have a few things, including some cuts off this nice Capitol Country Christmas sampler I stumbled upon recently. Some of the tracks on this set are also on the great (and criminally out-of-print) Rhino compilation, Hillbilly Holiday. But there's lots of nice stuff on it that was new to me as well, including "It's Christmas Time" by the Louvin Brothers, which strikes me as a nice way to kick off the holiday season.

Strangely, neither this song, nor the wonderful "Santa's Big Parade" are available on the MP3 download of Christmas With The Louvin Brothers, although they were added as bonus tracks to the CD version (which is of course out-of-print).

I think it would be fair to call this song corny. But at the same time it is impossible deny the heartfelt beauty of Charlie and Ira's harmonizing.

No comments: