Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Mix 2008


Okay, I know I wasn't exactly a model guest at your holiday party last year. I'm sorry about drinking up all your egg-nog, making borderline inappropriate comments about your teenage daughter, taking over your stereo, and throwing up on your sectional. If you invite me back this year, I promise not to do any of those things again. Except the taking over the stereo part. I'm definitely still going to do that.

As a peace offering I've made a few of the tracks I might play at your party available for download in advance. Once again I've made a zip file of the whole thing available, so if you're going to download more than a couple tracks, just grab this because it will save me some bandwidth. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Bud Logan - Sock It To Me Santa
This is not the same "Sock It To Me Santa" that was originally recorded by Bob Seger and The Last Heard. It's a totally different song.

The Sonics - Santa Claus
I can't understand why Little Steven did not include this one on his (highly recommended) Christmas A Go-Go compilation. There would have been more than enough room on the CD if the Joe Pesci track had been left off.

"Sugar Chile" Robinson - Christmas Boogie

Detroit Junior - Christmas Day
Unfortunately, many find themselves depressed during the holidays. If you are among those feeling down this holiday season Detroit Junior is here to kick your holiday blues in the ass.

The Marquees - Christmas In The Congo
You might remember the Marquees from their other holiday classic from the durable "Santa traded his sled for a rocket ship" genre, "Santa Done Got Hip."

Bobby Lloyd And The Skeletons - Do You Hear What I Hear/You Really Got Me
Bobby Lloyd's mash-up of "Do You Hear What I Hear" and the Kink's "You Really Got Me" perfectly captures the tension between the sacred and commercial aspects of Christmas. I remember this one getting a lot of play on WHFS during the holiday season.

Esquivel - Frosty The Snowman

The Louvin Brothers - Santa's Big Parade

Augie Rios - Donde Esta Santa Claus
This is a dangerously catchy song. My kids have been calling my wife "Mamacita" ever since they heard this. Careful or you will find yourself humming this in August.

Lord Nelson - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Sound Of The Trumpet
For some reason Bob Marley's entry in the Christmas song sweepstakes did not make the cut on Legend. I'm sure this is solely because Island was unable to secure the rights to the masters.

Paul & Paula - Holiday Hootenanny
"Hey, hey Paul, we need another hit." "Hey, hey Paula let's try a Christmas song." "Hey, hey Paul I hear surfing songs are big this year." "Hey, hey Paula folk hootenanny songs are big this year too." "Hey, hey Paul let's do a surfing/folk hootenanny song.'" "Hey, hey Paula this is why I love you."

Senor Tonto - Hooray for Santy Claus!
It just wouldn't be Christmas without Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.

Beck - Little Drum Machine Boy
The best thing about this song is the title, but it allows me to give a token shout-out to my Jewish and Scientologist homies this holiday season.

Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band - Partridge In A Pear Tree
What would Christmas be without the dulcet tones of Julius Wechter's marimba?

Ike & Tina Turner - Merry Christmas Baby
A lot of people have sung this song over the years. No one has ever sung it better than Tina Turner.

Hank Snow - Reindeer Boogie

The Martels - Rockin' Santa Claus

Jack Scott - There's Trouble Brewin'
Jack Scott is best known for "The Way I Walk" which was covered by The Cramps. This is a pretty great "I'm in a sexual competition with Santa Claus" song.

Los Lobos - Rudolph The Manic Reindeer

Albert King - Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin'
My favorite raunchy holiday song is Clarence Carter's "Back Door Santa." Not even the fact that Bon Jovi covered it can ruin it for me. Albert King's "Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin'" is a good one too. This time Lynrd Skynrd were the white dudes who did their best to ruin the song for me, but didn't succeed.

Gary Walker - Santa's Got A Brand New Bag
"Santa's Got A Brand New Bag" reminds me of another song, but for the life of me I can't quite put my finger on which one.

Marshall Crenshaw - Sock It To Me Santa
This is a cover of "Sock It To Me Santa" as originally recorded by Bob Seger and The Last Heard.

Edd "Kookie" Byrnes - Yulesville

Sonic Youth - Santa Doesn't Cop Out On Dope
Because even the best holiday parties must come to an end, I've included Sonic Youth's cover of Martin Mull's yuletide favorite. This should clear out anyone who hasn't gotten your subtle hints that the party's over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Flowering Toilet,
What a great Christmas mix, some real rare ones, love it. Your #1, #2 picks for albums of the year were the same as mine! Been a fan of Teddy's for a long time (in fact you can see him and me in my pix section on MySpace) and Duffy's "Mercy" was definitely single of the year.

Thanks again,
Rich Bloom
www.mySpace.com/theBramblemen

Elizabeth said...

hola,

honey would love to add this to my playlist. my son and I want to boogie.
peace and happy holidays!!!!!!!!