Monday, December 01, 2008

Favorite Albums of 2008?

Once again this year, Hype Machine is doing a year end Music Blog Zeitgeist list. Anyone with a blog can enter (you do not have to be aggregated by Hype Machine). Submission deadline is December 15th.

As I said last year when I put together a post of my favorite albums of the year, I am about the last person whose opinion on current music should be taken seriously. I'm old and mostly listen to old music. Even the new music I buy leans toward new releases by established artists. That said, somebody has to balance out the whippersnappers, so I'll enter.

Here are my current contenders, although I'm probably forgetting something.

New Music:
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Wye Oak - If Children
Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun
Teddy Thompson - A Piece of What You Need
Sun Kil Moon - April
Stereolab - Chemical Chords
She & Him - Volume One
R.E.M. - Accelerate
Paul Westerberg - 49:00
Orchestra Baobab - Made In Dakar
Neil Diamond - Home Before Dark
Mudhoney - The Lucky Ones
Mudcrutch - Mudcrutch
The Last Of The Shadow Puppets - The Age Of Understatement
Elvis Costello & The Imposters - Momofuku
Duffy - Rockferry
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Beck - Modern Guilt
Various Artists - Daptone 7 Inch Singles Collection, Volume 2
The Fireman - Electric Arguments
Belle & Sebastian - BBC Sessions
Ida - Lovers Prayers
Adele - 19

Old New Music:
Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
Neil Young - Sugar Mountain: Live At Canterbury House, 1968
Buena Vista Social Club - Live At Carnegie Hall
Mingering Mike - Super Gold Greatest Hits

I don't know if these should count or not. The Neil Young and Buena Vista Social Club were both released for the first time in 2008, despite having been recorded 10 and 40 years ago. The Dennis Wilson has been out-of-print long enough to practically qualify as a new release. Mingering Mike's not gonna make the cut anyhow (sorry Mike).


So what am I missing? What would be on your list? What do you think will make it to my final list of 10?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fairly mundane year for music

Pete Bilderback said...

You know, I think you may be right--it does seem kind of mundane. I had thought it had been a better year until I started to put together a list. This is essentially all the "new" music I bought this year (not counting reissues and tons of used records, etc.) Although, I have to say there is no doubt a lot of stuff I missed.

Darren said...

For Old New Music: The new Bob Dylan collection really is as great as everyone says. And I'm pretty deeply infatuated with The Essential Nina Simone.

Other new records I've enjoyed:
Fleet Foxes, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, Blitzen Trapper (who I hadn't heard of until I saw them open for Iron and Wine last week), My Brightest Diamond (who I'm seeing Saturday), and David Byrne and Brian Eno (who I'm seeing Sunday).

Pete Bilderback said...

Darren,

Those are probably some things I should at least hear. I'm definitely curious about the Fleet Foxes, and Byrne/Eno album. I've heard bits of the Dylan, and agree it sounds quite good, I will no doubt be getting that. I heard the Ryan Adams and wasn't too impressed. I haven't actually heard of Blitzen Trapper or My Brightest Diamond...as I said in my post I am definitely behind when it comes to new music.

Mr Lucky Doubles said...

I thought it was a great year for music. I found a ton of new stuff I liked and a surprising number of strong records from veterans, to say nothing of some really great live shows.

My list:
http://www.highlyirrelevant.com/movies/2008/12/09/best-movies-of-2008/
(Yeah, it says movies, but it's music.)

MC said...

I second Fleet Foxes, and also add Death Cab For Cutie, Drive By Truckers, and Calexico.

Also, I think the new Ryan Adams is a grower give it a few more spins and then tell me what you think, because I didn't initially like it at first either.

Still researching my list...

Pete Bilderback said...

Unfortunately as X-Mas approaches money is tight, especially since I recently had to spring for a new cartridge for my TT. There is just a lot of stuff I'm not going to be able to hear in time.

I like Calexico a lot, but haven't even heard their new one yet. Never got Fleet Foxes either, although from the bits I've heard I think I would like that as well. Same goes for a lot of other stuff. I do plan to pick up some of this stuff eventually, but I won't be able to afford it until 2009.

All these great suggestions really drive home the fact that I have no business compiling a "best of 2008" list, which is why it will just be an "albums I liked" list instead. Of course I loathe "best of" lists anyway, so even if I'd heard everything, I'd still just call it "stuff I liked."

I'm only going to bother to submit a list to Hype Machine because there are certain artists I want to see represented. Last year I was the only blogger who listed Teddy Thompson's album!