Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Electric Love Muffin - Rassafranna

Back when I was in college there were certain albums, like Soul Asylum's Hang Time, that all my friends owned. Then there were other albums that only one of us would own, but that got passed around among the group so much that it seemed like we all owned it. Rassafranna by the Electric Love Muffin fell into this later category.

My friend Adam once again loaned me the communal copy of Rassafranna, and through the miracle of digital technology, I can now share a couple tracks with the rest of the world.

So, how does the album hold up? Pretty well I'd say. The Electric Love Muffin had the misfortune of breaking up just before "alternative rock" broke into the mainstream. To my ears, the album is at least as good as what the Flaming Lips were doing at the time, and certainly better than anything by some of the second-tier alternative acts that became multi-platinum sellers in the 90s (Goo Goo Dolls, I'm looking at you).

The album is a little uneven, but a lot of fun. Listening to Rassafranna today, it's easy to imagine a very different future for this young band from Philly.

2 comments:

Michael Plank said...

Gah! These guys (Temple students all, I think) were big in the Philly alternative scene in the late 1980s, along with the Dead Milkmen, Ruin, Scram!, Tons of Nuns, Van Gogh's Ear, etc. Great live band. The album is good but a little flat compared to their riotous, high energy shows. "Down Easy" is a good example of this.

Comparisons to Soul Asylum etc. are right on. They broke up not long after this and the lead singer formed a successful alt-country band called the Rolling Hayseeds that played around Philly for years.

Thanks for posting this.

Doug said...

Should I sheepishly mention I not only owned Hang Time but I still like a number of those tracks? At the time, none of my friends had it, and Pirner and co. were not popular out here in L.A., so it was kind of underground. A little bit.

Thanks for turning me on to another band that I was missing.