Sunday, January 25, 2009

End of the Loudness Wars?

Could the end of the loudness wars be in sight? Perhaps. Check out this interesting post on Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy by Ian Shepherd at the Mastering Media Blog. Shepherd speculates that Metallica's much maligned Death Magnetic may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Shepherd's interesting comparison between the Death Magnetic LP and CD is also worth reading. It's similar to some of the comparisons I've attempted to do here, only done by someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

Reading Shepherd (who is a mastering engineer) drives home just how hideously out of my depth I am in attempting to comment on these things at all. Still, despite my lack of technical expertise, I think it's helpful. I try to be as honest as possible about the things I don't understand, and when I'm engaging in pure speculation. I'm sure I get a lot of things wrong, but the more people who complain about over-compressed releases (and praise the good ones) the better. Besides, technical expertise aside, I know what I hear.

4 comments:

Doug said...

Anyone with ears can claim a viable opinion on the subject.

Pete Bilderback said...

True, but you at least have to demonstrate you have a brain between your ears if you want anyone to take your opinion seriously.

I'm hoping Springsteen's upcoming album isn't compressed to death. I'll weigh in on that when it's released.

Doug said...

Ah. You're old school, with that whole wanting-to-have-your-opinion-taken-seriously thing. It's nice to see someone holding on to such archaic notions in this era of the blogosphere. You probably actually care about grammar, don't you? [g]

Pete Bilderback said...

No, I don't care so much about being taken seriously, mostly I'm just looking to amuse myself.

I do think the issue of compression in popular music deserves to be taken seriously though. I don't think I'm the best messenger on that, but the more voices making noise about it the better.

As for grammar, I do my best within the time constrictions I set for myself to write posts, but it's not something I'm anal about.