Monday, April 13, 2009

Great Moments In Flexi-Disc History

While searching for the Kendra Smith flexi-disc, I came across this one, given away with a different issue of The BOB Magazine. I had totally forgotten I had this, but it's a good one.

The A-side "I'll Meet You Halfway" by Redd Kross is an outtake from 1993's Phaseshifter. It sounds to me like the boys were going for a kind of Neil Diamond vibe here (quite sucessfully, I might add). This also appeared on the B-side of "The Lady In The Front Row" 7" single (but not on the 10" EP that I own, go figure).

Side two has a then 48 year-old Moe Tucker performing "Teenager In Love" accompanied by her daughter Kate on violin and sax. Like everything else Moe touches, the results are completely charming.

The other B-side track, "So So Sick" appeared in a slightly different version (titled "So Sick") on Unrest's fantastic 1992 album Perfect Teeth. I believe this version also appeared on a limited edition Teenbeat 7" box set of the album. It's criminal that Perfect Teeth, one of the best albums of the 90s, has fallen out-of-print. It's not even available as a download, although a compilation of some of the better tracks and rarities from the same period, B.P.M. (1991-1994), is available at iTunes. "So So Sick" (possibly the same version as this one) is also available there, presumably sans flexi-disc induced distortion. Once again, I've done my best to clean up the sound without negatively impacting the music, I hope you enjoy the results.

[link expired]

3 comments:

dan said...

Great stuff, Pete. I'll Meet You Halfway is an old Partridge Family song, though you probably already knew that.

Pete Bilderback said...

No, actually, I did not know that, although I certainly should have. I used to have a Partridge Family album, but I don't remember this song. All I can really remember is "I Think I Love You" and "Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted." I see "I'll Meet You Halfway" is on their Greatest Hits CD though.

Shame on me for not knowing.

RevolutionaryBum said...

Hi, This is a crazy find, made me think I should sort through my zines and check out those flexi's that often came with em'... Sadly though the link are gone "=( Whaaaa ricky" is there any chance of re posting these trax ? mucho appreciation if you could.