Friday, August 27, 2010

Blockbuster

The only thing I find surprising about today's news that Blockbuster is preparing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy is that they still have 3,425 retail locations, and that they are planning to close only around 500 of those stores during their restructuring. In my part of the country, Blockbuster went from being omnipresent to virtually invisible, seemingly overnight.

This video from The Onion feels all too right. It's strange to me how huge Blockbuster was just a short time ago, and yet now it feels like they never existed at all, or are at most a relic from a dimly remembered past. Paradigms shift quickly.

It is a reminder of the impermanence of all things in life.


Historic ‘Blockbuster’ Store Offers Glimpse Of How Movies Were Rented In The Past

2 comments:

Doug said...

Those were the days--when one's entertainment options were limited to what was left after what other patrons has checked out.

Pete Bilderback said...

What is weird to me is when I think back on how much time I spent in video stores, Blockbuster in particular. If you had a group of three or more people you could spend the whole night in the store arguing over what video to rent. I wonder how young people have any fun at all these days.