Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me


I've wanted a to own a copy of Public Image Ltd.'s post-punk masterpiece, Metal Box, for the last quarter of a century or more, ever since I bought and was captivated by the music on the inferior U.S. double disc 33 rpm version entitled Second Edition. So as a birthday present to myself I finally bit the bullet and bid on a pristine copy on eBay from a reputable seller. Unfortunately, the album must be shipped from the U.K., so it will be a few weeks before I finally have the 3 X 45 rpm metal encased LPs in my grubby hands.

Despite my years of record shopping, I do not think I have ever seen Metal Box in a record store. Maybe I saw it on the wall at Orpheus Records in Georgetown at some outrageous price once. I'm looking forward to finally hearing this album the way it was meant to be heard.

2 comments:

MarcM said...

Enjoy!

I got my copy in the early nineties. I was in as store called Cellophane Square in Bellingham, WA and saw it on the shelf. I didn't know much about PiL other than they were post Sex Pistols and they had released this cool record in a tin can. It was in pristine condition and certainly not more than $30. It was in such good condition (like the records never played and the tin untouched) I wasn't sure that it wasn't a bootleg until years later when the internet became more accessible and databases and reference sites more reliable that I realized I had the genuine article. After listening to it I went and purchased the PiL catalogue over the years but through subsequent weeding for space I've only kept the first one, Metal Box, Flowers of Romance, album, and the Greatest Hits CD.

Pete Bilderback said...

Marc, you were really lucky to find Metal Box for such a great price. The good news is that because the album was inconvenient to play, a lot of people just made tape copies for listening to. So most of the copies that are circulating tend to still be in excellent shape.