Monday, November 22, 2010

The Wishniaks (Again)

I rarely re-post material, but I'm making an exception in this case. A few years back I posted a little story about my attempt to book the Philadelphia indie-rock band The Wishniaks at my college, and some of the, um, snags, I hit. I also posted one side of the band's 1988 double A-sided single "Wicked Pygmy Summer"/"Wishful Thinking." Since then I've noticed comments from people about how much they loved the band, gotten a few emails about them, and noticed a consistent number of google searches for the band leading to this site. So here it is again, back by popular demand and freshly re-ripped from 7" vinyl.

A track from the band's album Catch 33 was featured on the Little Hits blog, and you can find more information about the band there. I don't have a whole lot more to say about them than I did last time, other than that I wish they reached a wider audience than they did and I hope you enjoy these tracks. Oh, and I never did get to see them live.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks for posting. Loved them.

Chris D said...

Thanks, Pete. Now, do you have "Tickertape Trash"? My favorite by them, and I can't find it anywhere.

Pete Bilderback said...

Hey Chris....sorry, I don't have "Tickertape Trash." I'll see if I can track it down though.

billburgnyc said...

Just listened to Catch 33 over the weekend, searched for them and found this single. Thanks!

I learned about them from an Alex Chilton tribute in the early 90's. Found the album in a used bin a few years later. It still get's stuck in my head, some 15 yrs after I heard it and 20+ since it was recorded. I think they were amazing; it used to make me incredibly sad that they were somewhat forgotten. Finding like-minded folks makes me feel a lot better.