Monday, July 18, 2011

The Harrow & The Harvest - How to Coffee-Stain Your Album Cover

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings show you how to coffee-stain the cover of their new CD, The Harrow & The Harvest:



I think it's pretty cool that so much love went into making the cover of their new CD. They have another video up describing the process behind the production of the letter-pressed cover at Aardvark Letterpress.



Most of the online images of the cover I've seen don't look very much like the actual printed cover. Here is what mine looks like (pre coffee staining).


If I work up the nerve to coffee stain my cover, I'll post an image of that. I realize Gillian says there's no wrong way to do it, but I feel like if there is, I'll find it. Perhaps I need to track down some Tanzanian Peaberry coffee? Would it be wrong to stain a Gillian Welch CD with Goya brand espresso? And what about tea? Would tea-staining be totally against the rules?

Also, from Gillian's website:
A Note About Vinyl

First and foremost, we want all Gillian fans to know that we at Acony Records love and appreciate vinyl, and we realize how important it is to release this album and all of Gillian's albums in this format. Though it is not available at this time, we want to thank you for your outpouring of support for this format and we promise that at some point in the future, all of Gillian's albums will be available on vinyl produced to the highest of standards. Thank you for your patience!
No word yet on whether the record covers should be coffee stained or not. You'll need more coffee to do it, of that I'm sure.

2 comments:

Peter Hennig said...

Thanks for posting that update on future vinyl releases. Not sure if I'll be holding my breath though with that "at some point in the future".

Pete Bilderback said...

Hey Buddy, at least now you know they are getting your emails.

I'm sure it will happen someday, but it does not sound like it is at the top of their "to do" list. These days it can be hard to get a project like this on the docket because there are so few quality vinyl pressing houses left, and demand is soaring. It's especially hard for a small label like Acony now that the majors have rediscovered vinyl.

At least is sounds like they plan to do it right whenever they get around to it, so hopefully we will be spared off-center pressings, etc. Hopefully.