Friday, March 23, 2012

Record Store Day 2012 Sparks Unrest

UNREST Perfect Teeth / 7" Box Set from Teen-Beat on Vimeo.

Record Store Day 2012 is less than a month away (it falls on April 21, so it's precisely 29 days away). There is an official list of releases up on the RSD website, but I'm not sure if it's complete. It's certainly long. I haven't looked at the list too carefully, but a couple items immediately jumped out at me as looking interesting.

First is a re-issue of Unrest's 1993 album Perfect Teeth in its original 6 X 7" vinyl boxset formation. It's also available for pre-order directly from Teen Beat. I bought this when it came out (if memory serves, the singles boxset premiered a couple months before the CD was released on 4AD), but I ended up selling it on eBay. A few things probably factored into my decision to let this go: First of all, it's kind of inconvenient to have to flip the singles every couple minutes. Second, if I remember correctly, the original vinyl was kind of noisy. And of course, I'm sure I needed the money. Perfect Teeth is still one of my favorite albums from the early to mid-nineties, and it's good to see it back in print and getting special treatment, hopefully on quieter vinyl this time around.

Another release that looks interesting is a Shuggie Otis 7" of "Inspiration Information" coupled with a non-LP b-side that is "previously unreleased and comes from Shuggie's personal archive of the Inspiration Information sessions." This sounds intriguing for a few reasons, not the least of which is that it indicates that Shuggie Otis has personal archive of the Inspiration Information sessions.

I'll mention other releases that look interesting, and discuss what various stores in the Providence, RI area have planned over the next few weeks.

No comments: