Monday, April 16, 2012

Record Store Day 2012: Here's Little Richard!


There have been many, many recordings released on a variety of formats in the Rock and Roll idiom since Here' Little Richard was released on LP in 1957 by the Specialty label, but I'm not sure any of them are better. Different? Sure. Better? Not in my opinion.

In honor of Record Store Day 2012 Specialty (now owned by the Concord Music Group) is re-releasing this album in its original vinyl LP configuration. Sure, the songs have been reissued many times since 1957. I own a CD with all of them plus many more Little Richard classics. But look at that cover! Don't you want to hold a full size copy of it in your hands so you can clearly see the sweat beaded up on Little Richard's brow? Don't you want to hear the needle of your turntable make a gentle pop as it settles into the LP groove just before that earth shaking, paradigm shattering, "A-wop bop-a loo-mop, a-lop bam-boom!" Damn, I know I do.

This reissue was "remastered from the original session tapes" and I bet it sounds great. The only problem with it I can see is that bringing home the music of this flamboyant African-American will most likely no longer have the power to shock uptight parents. Perhaps if the original lyrics were restored it still might. If for some reason there is a pressing problem with this LP and the spindle hole is too tight, just remember to follow Little Richard's original advice: "If it don’t fit, don’t force it / You can grease it make it easy."

3 comments:

Pete Bilderback said...

This ended up being the only RSD exclusive I bought. I picked a good one. Beautifully pressed on red wax, it sounds brilliant.

Anonymous said...

The Record store day special red vinyl version of this record is hands down the finest I've ever heard it. It blows away the MFSL version which is WAY to bright and biting. The red vinyl version is the way to hear the classic album.

Pete Bilderback said...

Thanks for that. I never heard the MFSL version, but good to know at least one person likes this one better.