Monday, May 14, 2012

LA Times: Hello Spotify, Goodbye Vinyl?

There's an interesting article in the LA Times in which Randall Roberts ponders the impact that streaming and download services are having on traditional notions of music "collecting." This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately, and if I ever get a few spare moments to organize my thoughts, I'll share them with you.

In the meantime, I recommend reading Roberts' piece, which is very good. How have services like Spotify, Rhapsody, iTunes, MOG, Google Music, etc. affected your music purchasing and collecting habits? How have they affected how you think about your music "collection"?

2 comments:

James Hannigan said...

Sorry but handing over my entire collection to low-res outsourced storage is not attractive. Besides the loss of sound fideility as one major drawback, the rules of content ownership could change tomorrow throwing their entire business models out the window, along with your files. I like Itunes and internet sources to check tracks of new albums I'm interested in, then go buy the physical albums for those that I like. And I store backups of CDs for portable use, but that's about it.

Pete Bilderback said...

Hi James, thanks for weighing in. I tend to agree with you. Sound quality is certainly part of the equation for me, but having had a very bad experience with Apple makes me leery of handing control over to someone else.

We may be a shrinking minority though.