Thursday, August 30, 2012

Captured Tracks - DIIV and Wild Nothing

While I'm always happy to see some of my old favorite bands like Redd Kross and the dBs release new music, I do listen to music from new bands as well. A couple things on my shopping list include new records from Brooklyn's Captured Tracks label. Captured Tracks is a relatively new label, but they've managed to release a lot music in a short time and also establish a relatively consistent aesthetic.

DIIV (formerly Dive) released their first LP Oshen in June. I'm still waiting to score my own copy as it keeps selling out at my local indie record shop. DIIV have concocted a compelling sound that combines the neo-dream-pop aesthetic that Captured Tracks specializes in with a pronounced Krautrock groove. The Krautrock influence is not as prominent on "How Long Have You Known?" (see video below) as on some of the other album tracks.

The video shows DIIV frontman Zachary Cole Smith tossing a bunch of different objects, including a bit of an In Utero cassette tape (the band named themselves after a Nirvana song), bits of a light bulb, part of an American flag and the liquid from a lava lamp into a blender, then creating a pill from the results which he swallows. It's as good a metaphor as any for the band's sound.



I mentioned Wild Nothing in one of my previous posts. Their new album Nocturne was released earlier this week (although I am still waiting for it to show up at one of my local record shops). Captured Tracks has released a second track from the album, "Paradise," on youtube. This track strongly reminds me of Colour Of Spring era Talk Talk (a good thing, in my opinion).



Some (not me) might complain that there is a certain sameness to the sound of Captured Tracks artists, and anyone old enough to remember the 80s could surely play an extended "name that influence" game. So what? The music sounds fresh and tuneful to me even if it does evoke a slight sense of déjà vu.

1 comment:

Pete Bilderback said...

Picked up the DIIV album this afternoon. One thing, and I know it's minor, but how hard would it be to have track numbers and proper songs titles in the metadata for MP3 downloads? I usually just skip it and digitize the LP, which isn't even much more work than going through the tracks and adding numbers and fixing the titles in iTunes.