One of my all-time favorite Record Store Day releases was Omnivore's 2011 reissue of the Test Pressing of Big Star's Third. This year Omnivore is back with a new Big Star RSD release, Nothing Can Hurt Me, a two LP compilation of alternate versions and remixes of Big Star classics that also serves as the soundtrack to the soon-to-be-released Big Star documentary film.
Nothing Can Hurt Me will be pressed on colored vinyl and will include a download card for those who think there is any other way to listen to Big Star than on LP. If you don't get your greedy mitts on these two slabs of colored vinyl on Record Store Day, resist the urge to pay big bucks on eBay and keep in mind that Omnivore eventually did a second pressing of Third.
This looks nice, but what I really want is a top-notch reissue of Alex Chilton's Like Flies On Sherbert. Perhaps for RSD 2014?
Here's the track list:
1. O My Soul (1973 Demo)
2. Give Me Another Chance (Control Room Monitor Mix 1972)
3. In The Street (2012 Movie Mix)
4. Studio Banter (1972)
5. Try Again - [Rock City] (2012 Movie Mix)
6. My Life Is Right (Alternate 1972 Mix)
7. The Ballad Of El Goodo (Alternate 1972 Mix)
8. Feel (Alternate 1972 Mix)
9. Don't Lie To Me (Alternate 1972 Mix)
10. Way Out West (Alternate 1973 Mix)
11. Thirteen (Alternate 1972 Mix)
12. You Get What You Deserve (Alternate 1973 Mix)
13. Holocaust (Rough 1974 Mix)
14. Kanga Roo (Rough 1974 Mix)
15. Stroke It Noel (Backwards Intro 1974)
16. Big Black Car (Rough 1974 Mix)
17. Better Save Yourself (2012 Movie Mix)
18. I Am The Cosmos [Chris Bell] (2012 Movie Mix)
19. All We Ever Got From Them Was Pain (2012 Movie Mix)
20. September Gurls (2012 Movie Mix)